Tuesday 11 December 2012

Embroidery stitches














Hello, only 14 days until Christmas..............

I have traced the picture I want to sew and I have been practising some embroidery stitches, by the time I have finished practising my piece of material will look like a sampler or dictionary of stitches.  I used to embroider many moons ago but I have lost touch with this skill, as life took over. Now I have decided sewing is going to take over.

Firstly here is the picture I want to stitch.




I have traced the picture and now I need to draw it on my piece of calico. For this I am using a normal pencil. When I start sewing I will use a embroidery hoop as I find it easier to sew with. If you are using a hoop remember to take your material off the hoop every time you finish sewing. The hoop will stretch the material if left on for long periods of time and after all that hard work you don't want a mis-shaped work of art.


Traced picture.


Embroidery Stitches part one;

These two stitches are your basic ones, that can be used for a number of different things not just embroidery but every day stitching and mending.

Backstitch.

This stitch can be used for curved and straight lines. This is a perfect stitch when you require a well defined outline.

To start bring your needle through the fabric just abit ahead of where you would like your first stitch.
 
Then bring your needle behind your thread, then bring your needle back through your fabric passed the first stitch.



Each time the stitch is made, the thread goes to the back to fill the gap and another stitch is made. To get even stitches takes practise, the guide is to make sure the gaps and stitches  are the same length to guarantee even stitches.



(mine are not all even but I don't mind as it makes it more home / handmade)
Practise a line of backstitch to see if you can get them even.

Running Stitch.

This stitch is know as running or straight stitch. This stitch is also used for straight lines and curved lines.
The stitches on the front of your fabric will be the same on the back of your fabric.
This stitch is used in hand quilting all the time. As the picture or pattern which is created on the front of the quilt is transferred to the back at the same time.




Bring your needle through the fabric at the beginning of where you want to start, then back down through your fabric and back up. This is your first stitch.
Carry on repeating this long the line making sure the stitches and the space between the stitches are the same size.

Tomorrow I will show you how to do chain stitch and blanket stitch.

Hope this has help get you started, thanks for stopping by.... see you soon.

Remember practise makes perfect. Happy sewing....

No comments:

Post a Comment